The Metropolitan Opera 2018-2019 Finals Concert took place on March 31st and was conducted by Maestro Carlo Rizzi with host countertenor Anthony Roth Costanzo and special guest bass-baritone Christian Van Horn.
Nine finalists took the stage on March 31st. The nine finalists are:
· Piotr Buszewski, 26, tenor (Warsaw, Poland)
· Dashuai Chen, 28, tenor (Shanghai, China)
· Alaysha Fox, 27, soprano (Queens, New York)
· Thomas Glass, 28, baritone (Edina, Minnesota)
· Meghan Kasanders, 27, soprano (Darien, Illinois)
· Miles Mykkanen, 27, tenor (Bessemer, Michigan)
· William Guanbo Su, 24, bass (Beijing, China)
· Elena Villalón, 21, soprano (Austin, Texas)
· Michaela Wolz, 23, mezzo-soprano (Eureka, Missouri)
After months of auditions at the district, regional and national levels, five singers were named as winners of the 65th annual Met Opera National Council Auditions.
Thomas Glass, Miles Mykkanen, William Guanbo Su, Elena Villalón, and Michaela Wolz won the competition, each receiving $15,000 cash prize. The winners took home the prize after a months-long series of auditions involving more than 1,000 singers at the district, regional, and national levels.
For over 60 years, the annual competition has helped launch the careers of countless young singers, including some of opera's greatest stars. Every season, over 100 former participants in the National Council Auditions appear on the Met roster.